Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Freelancing + a part-time job = the key to happiness?

After a year of freelancing I've taken a part-time job (16 hours/week) with my last IT client. I was with them for over three years as my client, but it felt like a family. They are the reason I stayed in IT as long as I did ... probably an extra year. I've missed them dearly.

My alter ego
In February when they casually asked if I'd consider a part-time gig as their technical writer, I said "yes" without hesitation. I want to tell you why (spoiler: money in and of itself doesn't make the list), but first I have to recap why I left.

I left my old job last February because I was feeling lost in it. I didn't care about the end result of my work, it just wasn't important to me. I wanted the freedom to pursue other things that were pulling on me, creative endeavors. I wanted to see if I could work for myself. I didn't want to consider staying part-time because I felt as though I needed a clean break. A clear message to myself that I was trying something new and "here goes nothing".

I'm 100% glad that I left and not a day has passed that I questioned my decision. Now, here's why I rejoined the team.

I got my clean break. After a year away, I can approach the same team (albeit a different position) with a fresh perspective on the job, the goals, work-life balance, everything. I have an entirely different outlook on and appreciation for money. I understand why paying for your own healthcare when you're already not making a lot can become a huge stressor. I was never truly at risk with money (yet), but I certainly had more going out than coming in. It was eye-opening and I value the knowledge and experience more than I can put into words.
There's just something grounding about spending an hour to make $15 on a blog (early on), realizing you want a second latte, then realizing that buying it will take away a third of what you just made. Yes, in some ways I learned the value of money more in this last year than I ever could have in my first 31.
I couldn't ever seem to work 40 hours/week on freelance writing. I love doing it, but I don't love doing it for 40 hours/week. It's taxing to constantly write things that are fresh and interesting and slightly humorous (but not too casual) and on and on ... to switch topics every hour. In some ways that's super-exciting, but I found it impossible to do 40 hours/week.

I missed the structure and connection of a team. I tried fixing it by creating a team of freelancers to help with my workload, and that did improve things some, but not enough. I now know that I need to use the technical parts of my brain to really feel right, whatever that means. The first day that I really worked back with my old client I was on a high that I can't explain in words. The first day that I got to see my team in person was the best day I'd had in months.

On top of all that, there's no downside. My team supports my freelancing pursuits, be it writing, editing, or acting. To be fair, they always did. My hours are flexible. This gig takes nothing away from my freedom or creative pursuits, rather the good mood and self-actualization that comes from being on this team only help.


So I guess after a year of pure freelancing, I learned that I need my technical fix as much as my creative/actor fix. I feel so lucky to be back with my team and I'm excited for what's to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment